Friday, July 5, 2013

Simple, Delicious Food: Canteloupe Salad

I won't often post about food, but when I do it has to be simple, delicious and beautiful. This salad meets all those requirements. I also tend to not make the same recipe twice (Brent wishes I would break this habit) unless it's easy and amazing.

I was inspired to create this salad when I was at a photoshoot for work a week ago. Our photographer always has the most unique yet simple food for us to eat. I arrived in time for breakfast and was greeted with a plate of tomatoes, arugula and ricotta salata. It seemed out of place at breakfast. But then I ate it and it all made sense. It was sweet, peppery, salty and creamy. So many lovely tastes and textures achieved in so few ingredients.

So I came home and made this salad. Now I can't stop!


It really couldn't be any easier! Here's the rundown:

  • Baby arugula
  • Cantaloupe cubes
  • Blueberries
  • Ricotta Salata (my store carries this in a section of special cheeses, near the fresh mozzarella)
  • Pistachios
  • Fresh Mint (from the garden)

Simply layer the ingredients in a shallow bowl. NO dressing is necessary on this salad. I love that!

And the reason I crave this salad is because it's perfect! It peppery (arugula), sweet (melon), tart (blueberries), salty (nuts and cheese), crunchy (nuts), creamy (cheese) and refreshing (mint). The combination of these ingredients knocks it out of the park. And each ingredient sings through as you make your way through the dish.

Try it, you won't be sorry. And remember: Simple foods are often the best foods. Don't mess with perfection.

You're welcome,
Karli

No comments:

Post a Comment